Friday, April 20, 2007

BASEBALL IS HERE!!

I have to say - I love all sports. But BASEBALL is my favorite! I love being outside (except for last night it was misting rain and in the 40's at the game).

I love seeing this group of 13-14 year olds grow and turning into young men. Not to mention that they have grown 5-10 inches since last year and they have those cute cracks in their voice when they talk and yell!! They are growing so quickly into fine young men.

There is nothing more enjoyable than watching children be children in the light of everything going on in the world today. Little Girls that wear their little sun dresses and sandles and sit in the red mud and play with matchbox cars. Watching a group of little ones with a tennis ball playing "Wall Ball" and laughing. Watching little ones eat a hotdog or corn dog and nachos and cotton candy. Oh - watching my husband who is so quiet and laid back sit and eat a funnel cake with powdered sugar all over his face and just having a good time. Seeing a little one who has struck out everytime at bat, hit one and not know what to do. Watching you kids face when he/she hits their first homerun. Knowing the main thing that all of them want at the end is a free drink that is a mix of cherry, pepsi, dr. pepper and Mt. dew. It is amazing to see how they can grow together and work together and the memories that they have from their games and after the games just hanging out.

I have to say that there is no greater thing for a parent to see their child doing something that they truly enjoy and succeed at. I love to watch him play and watch him do well. Even though he is 13, he still hugs and kisses me before every game and tells me he loves me.

There are so many things that kids can do away from the ball field that have taken away from families actually doing something together. At least there are still some kids left that want to spend all day Saturdays at the fields hanging out, getting together a pickup game on an open field and being with friends and family and not in a closed room on a computer. We have to drag Hunter away from the field most nights.

I love to see kids having fun -- too bad the parents cant be as mature most of the time!!

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Have you heard about Stitch 'n Pitch? It's knitting + baseball! I think the Warthogs are scheduled for a stitch 'n pitch sometime in May.

Karen said...

oh baseball - my 11 yr old brother is playing for the first time! I'm going to try to make his game tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to seeing you on Wednesday :)

Laura said...

Saw this pattern for baseball themed socks and thought of you!

http://www.interweave.com/signup/knit/baseball-tyn.asp?sid=309468503

Laura